Lollabrigida – 1950 espresso machine
The first espresso machine was manufactured in the early 1880s by Angelo Moriondo of Turin, Italy. The coffee culture of the world soon became enamored by the artistic and technical developments of the godfathers of espresso who continually worked to improve the machinery and style of la macchina.
Luigi Bezzera, Daesiderio Pavoni, Achille Gaggia began a tradition that ushered in the golden age of espresso, a period from 1950 to 1965 when manufacturers like Faema and Bruni Brunella created machines that are now collector’s pieces like the La San Marco “Lollabrigida” with its curvaceous design and the Faema Marte named after the planet Mars with a design based on the front grille of a 1950 Buick.
Savoring the end of a perfect Thanksgiving dinner with pumpkin pie and a cup of espresso? Take a moment to give thanks to the Pilgrim Fathers of espresso.
In 1935, Francesco Illy created the “illetta” the first automatic espresso machine in the northern Italian city of Trieste destined to revolutionize the coffee world. The “Plymouth of espresso”, Trieste faces the blue Adriatic and not unlike its Cape Cod counterpart is battered by the Bora, a powerful north-easterly wind most common in the winter.
Other pilgrims followed including Achilles Gaggia, who in 1946 invented the modern-day espresso machine using high pressure and a spring powered lever system. The first pump driven espresso machine was produced in 1960 by the Faema Company. Both the spring powered lever machine and the pump driven machines are still in use today.