Two sweet and savory Italian inspired French toast recipes for your holiday brunch or “breakfast for dinner”.
Rosemary Olive French Toast
1 firm olive rosemary loaf of bread
1 cup half & half
2 cloves finely minced
s/p to taste
1 T. Capezzana Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 T. unsalted butter
2 T. Capezzana Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 sweet onion, thinly
6 cloves garlic, rough chopped
1/2 lb Robiola or goat cheese
1/3 lb roasted tomatoes, chopped
10-12 fresh basil leaves
• Heat skillet or griddle pan to medium high heat.
• Slice bread in 1″ thick slices and set aside. Whisk together eggs, half and half, garlic and olive oil. Dip bread slices into egg mixture thoroughly to absorb.
• Meanwhile, heat olive oil in another pan and saute peppers, onions and garlic until caramelized. Set aside and begin cooking french toast.
• Melt 1 T. butter on heated skillet and place soaked bread on heated pan. Cook until golden brown and flip until both sides are same. Keep warm until all slices are finished.
• Place finished french toast on a warm serving platter and place a thin slice of goat cheese on top of each bread slice. Add a spoonful of pepper mixture and some roasted tomatoes. Garnish with slivered basil.
Pesto Prosciutto French Toast
• 2 pieces of firm Italian bread
• 1 large egg
• 1/3 cup whole milk
• 1 generous T of La Bella Angiolina Ligurian Basil Pesto
• 3 slices of prosciutto roughly chopped or torn into small pieces
Whisk egg, milk and pesto until mixed. Dip bread, 1 piece at a time into egg mixture until soaked. Melt 1 T. unsalted butter on heated skillet and place soaked bread on heated pan. Add chopped prosciutto and cook until golden brown then flip until prosciutto side is crisped. Serve with a savory jam.