Need a written shot of espresso to get you through Leap Day.
Here are some Italy in 30 Second suggestions for an Italian-inspired Leap Day
- You can jump start the Leap Day with a perfectly brewed cup of espresso. Extraction time needed to fill two 1-oz cups should be between 25-30 seconds
- You can read Leap Year at the Coffee Shop by Michael Eads on your Kindle in under a minute; at least the “click to look inside” version at Amazon.com
- You can see the decree that created the Gregorian Calendar named after Pope Gregory XIII who in February 1582 initiated changes that resulted in a calendar that standarized our current Leap Year system
- You can plan a Leap Day menu around Saltimbocca, a classic Italian veal dish made with prosciutto and sage whose name translates to jumps in the mouth
- You can take 30 seconds to say “felice anno bisestile” and wish your friends Happy Leap Year in Italian
“Venetian coffee is said to surpass all others”
Farewell meat. Hello coffee. Only a few days left before Fat Tuesday. I plan on celebrating with a coffee drink named after the Carnevale City of Venice. To make a Venetian Coffee, put a sugar cube* in a mug. Add 1 ounce of brandy, then fill with hot black coffee and top with whipped cream. Traditionally served in a footed glass coffee mug, Venetians often drink their coffee with a baicoli, a special Venetian biscotti.
Costumed partygoers can be found drinking coffee or sipping their hot chocolate while nibbling on traditional Carnevale pastries: galani, crunchy slivers of biscuit and fritelle, soft oval-shaped doughnuts, plain, studded with raisins or stuffed with chocolate or zabaione custard cream.
*You can replace the cube of sugar with a 1/2 ounce of dark cream di cacao if you like.
Red coffee machines are one of the most popular and top selling home appliances bought on-line. The color red seems to make a fashion statement whether modern or retro. Like the red-painted cam covers on the Ferrari Testarossa , the color seems to represent a powerful piece of engineering. La Pavoni, one of Italy’s oldest espresso machine manufactures, makes the Cellini Push Switch Red Maranello that looks like it could easily go from 0-60 in about 5 seconds.
The prominent dial and cone-shaped appearance of the Bugatti Diva Red Coffee Espresso Machine could easily start your engine every morning.
The Gaggia Colour Red (see gallery below) with the Pannarello turbo frothing attachment is advertised to “make a statement no matter where it’s located”.
So appealing is Illy’s iconic Francis Francis Red iper Espresso that it has been raised to luxury status by none other than Forbes magazine.
Any just might make the perfect present for your espresso loving Valentine.